Friday, November 28, 2008

The Eritrean Club/الإريتري في نادي الكويت.

Today I went to the Eritrean Club in Hawally for the second time. I am not a coffee drinker but I cannot resist ordering it when I am there. The Eritrean Club is the first African social hangout in Kuwait. It has been in operation for about 40 years and is still going strong. The club allows Eritreans and other East Africans a place to connect with each other and take a break from the daily hustle of Kuwait. There is space for people who want to play cards, watch television, eat, or just chat.
Zekarias and Yonas

I must say my first trip to East Africa (Ethiopia) was not pleasant. I experienced racism from the locals and was ridiculed because of my skin color and "ethnic" features. However I was welcomed with open arms by the Eritreans and treated with respect. My friends Yonas and Zekarias, members of the club, taught me much about Eritrean history and culture. As we drank coffee they told me of the various ethnic groups and social norms of Eritrea. One ethnic group in particular are the Rashaida, re a Bedouin people who come from a major tribe in mainland Arabia called Banu Abs. They are mainly Muslim of African and Arab origin The Rashaida have been expelled from Saudi Arabia. Most of the Rashaida live in the Arabian Peninsula and North Africa. Many reside alongside Eritrea's coast.

Rashaida Family

Eritrea's struggle for independence is a sad but victorious one. For 30 years Eritrea fought for independence against Ethiopia (which was backed by America). The Ethiopian army finally collapsed and Eritrea took control on May 24, 1991. Independence was declared on May 24 1993. Even after Eritrea's independence, Ethiopia constantly violated Eritrean territory. In July 1997, Ethiopian troops forcibly evicted farmers from the Eritrean village of Badme. They also attacked Eritrean patrol units in Eritrean territory, provoking a border dispute that is ongoing to this day.
The Eritrean Club/Eritrean Elder

The Eritrean elder you see in the picture has been in Kuwait since the 60's and was a soldier in the Eritrean Liberation Front, which fought for Eritrean Independence. He is a very compassionate man whom Eritreans look at as a source of inspiration and father figure. I hope to interview him in the very near future.

The Eritrean club is a great place that I will continue to frequent and whenever you come to Kuwait I would encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment